Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Some Pastoral Thoughts...


This past Sunday my granddaughter celebrated her sixth birthday. Although I live over 1300 miles from her, she is often in my thoughts. At some point during almost every day I find myself wishing I could spend time with her playing games, hearing her stories and holding her. As I think of her, there is only one word that comes to mind: precious. So how can I best influence this precious little girl's faith who lives so far away from me? Here's what I've come up with:

1. Live for God. My walk with God impacts my granddaughter. I know that it is hard to believe, but what I do and don't do will ultimately affect her. The Bible says, "Do not be decived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap" (Galatians 6:8). How we live our lives will always influence our loved ones, no matter how far they live from us. If we decide to live for God and maintain a close walk with Him, our families and loved ones will be blessed because of it.


2. Pray. Nothing is more powerful than prayer. James 5:16 reminds us, "The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." All the physical things that we can do for others cannot compare with what God can do when we pray. My prayers will impact my granddaughters life unlike anything I could ever do physically. Though my lack of faith may question that sometimes, the Bible reminds me of the constant power of prayer that never changes.

3. Have Others Pray for Her. The faith of others can move mountains. "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father" (John 14:12). Please remember to pray for her; her name is Madison.

What are some other ways that can impact your loved one's faith from a distance?