Monday, October 3, 2011

Scripture for Oct. 9th: Psalm 51:1-6; 10-17


Sermon Title: What to Do When You Have Blown It

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight;
so you are right in your verdict and justified when you judge. Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb; you taught me wisdom in that secret place.

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Then I will teach transgressors your ways, so that sinners will turn back to you. Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God, you who are God my Savior, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness. Open my lips, Lord, and my mouth will declare your praise. You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise.


Dr. Warren Wiesbe writes the following about this chapter:

Like Psalm 32, it came out of David’s sin with Bathsheba (2 Sam. 11–12) and his futile attempt to cover it up. If any chapter in the Bible reveals the high cost of sinning, it is this one. Sin hurts the sinner. David’s whole being was affected by his sin: his eyes (v. 3), mind (v. 6), ears (v. 8), heart (v. 10), spirit (v. 10), and mouth (vv. 13–15). He lost fellowship with God (v. 11) and the joy of the Lord (v. 12). Are the pleasures of sin worth paying this great price? Sin hurts others. Sin can bring tragic consequences to the lives of others (James 1:13–16), especially one’s family. David’s sin led to Uriah’s death. Bathsheba’s baby died. David’s lovely daughter Tamar was violated by her brother Amnon, who was then killed by Absalom, who in turn was slain by Joab. Is a fleeting moment of sinful pleasure worth a lifetime of sorrow? Sin hurts God. We hurt ourselves and others when we sin, but primarily, our sins are against God (v. 4). Sin makes us dirty (vv. 2, 7). Sin is rebellion against God’s holy law. If you want to know how much sin hurts God, go to Calvary and see His Son dying for the sins of the world. God is love, and our selfish sins break His heart. God is merciful and gracious and forgives when we come in repentance and faith (1 John 1:9). David did not want “cheap” forgiveness; he came with a broken heart.

When we "blow it," we pay a heavy price. Sin comes with a penalty and that penalty is ultimately death. So what do we do? David gives us a road map to restoration: ask for God's forgiveness, seek a full relationship with God and serve Him by serving others. We will explore this more on Sunday as we continue our series of messages, God is Closer Than You Think. Hope to see you then!