Monday, January 3, 2011

Scripture for Sunday, January 9th: John 10:10


Sermon Title: Living the Dash

"I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of" (John 10:10).

On Sunday we will start a new 6-week sermon series entitled, "One Life to Live." This sermon series taken from a book written by Rev. Kerry Shook with the same title. In the book he writes:

"Looking at old tombstones, I can't help but recognize that entire lives are now reduced before me to two dates and one little dash. Some monuments include facts or sayings, Bible verses or poignant memorials, but each person's life really comes down to what transpired between those two dates. It comes down to what's in the dash. I look at the dash of a particular person's marker and wonder, What did he live for? Whom did she love? What were his passions and dreams?"

As we begin a new year, I hope that we can together as a congregation ask those same questions - what are we living for? Who do we love? What's our passions and dreams? How can we make the best use of our "dash"? My father who lives in TX is now 85 years old. He is near the end of his life and I often think of him - after all these years he is still my hero. He has lived his life for my mother and his family - no one could ever question his commitment to them. God has always played an important role in his life and though he never had a lot of words to describe his relationship with God, he has never hesitated to talk about it. He has modeled for me what I should use my "dash" for - on relationships with God and others, particular family.

During this sermon series, let's review our lives, ask the serious questions and ultimately answer, "If I had one month to live, what would be the most important persons and things to me? How would I live my life? What would I do differently?" Read Psalm 90:12; James 3:13-18; Psalm 39:4-5; Philippians 3:20; I Peter 2:11; I Peter 1:24-24; Psalm 119:105; II Timothy 3:16-17; and Hebrews 4:12 in preparation for Sunday's message. Hope to see you then!