Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Scripture for Sunday, January 30th: II Corinthians 12:9

Sermon Title: One Month to Live - Learn Humbly

'My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.' So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. II Corinthians 12:9

Rev. Kerry Shook, author of One Month to Live, writes about learning humbly:

"We've come to the third principle in our One Month To Live Challenge and it is probably the most difficult of all for most of us. People who face the end of their lives have a remarkable humility. They have to depend on others. They are no longer self-sufficient or proud. Yet in their weakness they have discovered a liberating truth. It is found in II Corinthians 12:9 (NLT). It's one of those difficult passsages where Paul, the writer, is struggling with an issue in his life that he is absolutely powerless over. He asks God to remove it three times. But God says, 'My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.' So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.'"

Rev. Shook correctly points out that God uses those times in our lives when we are at our weakest to teach us the most powerful, life-changing truths. The question is never whether we will go through challenging times, which often are a result of our own mistakes or the mistakes of others. We will go through those times. The question is what will we do with those times. Will we allow those times to cause us to hurt our relationship with God and others? Or will we allow God to use those times to teach and instruct us so that we can become more like Him?

This coming Sunday morning I will discuss how we can use the hard and challenging moments of life to bless us and others. I hope to see you then!