Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Scripture for Sunday, August 15th: John 21:15-17


Sermon Title: You Don't Have to Reinvent the Wheel

"When they had finished eating, jesus said to Simon Peter, 'Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?' 'Yes, Lord,' he said, 'you know that I love you.' Jesus said, 'Feed my lambs.' Again Jesus said, 'Simon son of John, do you truly love me?' He answered, 'Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.' Jesus said, 'Take care of my sheep.' The third time he said to him, 'Simon son of John, do you love me?' Peter was hurt because jesus asked him the third time, 'Do you love me?' He said, 'Lord you know all things; you know that I love you.' Jesus said, "Feed my sheep."

Peter had denied the Lord three times and now Christ was giving him the opportunity to affirm his belief in Him three times. Notice Peter's response to Christ question, "Do you love me?" Peter responses, "Lord you know all things; you know that I love you." Peter was unwilling to compare himself with the other disciples (see John 13:37) or speak about the depth of his love in his response (see Matthew 26:33). His modest response reflects the fact that he learned not to trust in his own heart (see Luke 22:62) and he now knew that his ability to please the Lord was from God alone, not based on his own strength (see I Peter 2:25).

If the Lord asked you if you love Him, how would you respond? Would you say, Lord, you know how much I give, how often I attend church, pray and help others? Or would you say, Lord, I love you more than other Christains? Or perhaps the best answer would be, "you know Lord." I am not perfect, I often fail you, I always need your forgiveness, but you know Lord, I love you.
Why did Jesus ask Peter to "feed" His lambs? Find out the answer to that question this Sunday morning, as I talk about how "feeding" the "lambs" will encourage us to attend church and live morally. See you then!