Friday, February 22, 2013

Scripture for Feb. 24th: Psalm 63:1-5


Sermon Title: Giving God Our Best Love

You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

What does a Christian who gives all his or her love to God look like? Author Francis Chan answers this when he describes his friend Rings:

"I don't know how old exactly Rings is, but he's definitely what you would call an old man. I also don't know where he was born or what his real name is; he simply goes by Rings. His home is the cab of his pickup, which he parks near downtown Ocean Beach, California. He is a chain smoker, an ex- convict, ex- addict, and ex- alcoholic.

Rings likes to say that if Jesus saved him, then Jesus is able to save anyone and everyone. So instead of using his monthly check to buy alcohol or a hotel room for himself, he spends all of it on food at the local supermarket. He transfers the food he buys to coolers in the back of his truck, then he drives to the beach and makes meals for his fellow homeless.

While preparing the food, Rings tells the gathering crowd about the freedom that Jesus brought into his life. He tells them that God is the One who told him to feed others with his money, and that it's because God loves each of them. This man gives everything he has to others—literally everything—because he knows he has nothing that wasn't given to him by God.”

Rings is giving all his love to God, the God that has given him love that is overwhelming and transforming. He is an example of what it looks like when a person gives all his love to God. On Sunday we will give more examples as we describe what it means to give God our best love as we conclude the sermon series, “Crazy Love.” Hope to see you then!