Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Scripture for August 26th: Psalm 23:3,4


Sermon Title: A Shepherd’s View

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. (KJV)

How does God view us? Is He angry with us for things we have done? Or is He like a disappointed parent, wishing we had made better decisions? Or even still, is God upset at how we have lived our lives?

The King David speaks of God’s great love for us His children in this Psalm. Bible scholar Dr. A. Knowles writes the following concerning this Psalm and how God views us:

“We are invited to imagine the eastern shepherd at work. He is the leader, provider and protector of his flock. He knows every animal by name, and values each one more than his own life. As David was a shepherd-boy, and Jesus describes himself as the ‘good shepherd’, these verses take us to the heart of pastoral care. Walking ahead of his sheep and calling them to follow, the shepherd finds fresh pasture to graze and safe places to drink. Even when the flock has to squeeze through a narrow defile, the sheep have nothing to fear. The shepherd can haul them to safety with his staff, or beat on the rock wall with his rod to let them know he is near.

The shepherd tends his sheep in every way. He clears the pasture of stones and levels the potholes — then stands guard while they eat. He checks their heads for sunburn and treats their wounds with soothing oil. When they are thirsty, he fills the drinking trough to the brim. At night he takes them into his own home. This is how God is with his people, says the psalmist. He is like a shepherd, and I am in his constant care. His goodness and love will never fail me. In old age and in the face of death, I will continue to live with him.”

Psalm 23, particularly verses 3 and 4, reminds us that God always works in our lives, He never leaves us and continually teaches and guides us throughout life’s circumstances. He does this because He views us as if we were His sheep, His responsibility, as He acts as our Shepherd. We will speak more about how God views us this coming Sunday as we continue the sermon series, “Lessons from Psalm 23.” Hope to see you then!