Saturday, February 25, 2012

Scripture for March 4th: II Cor. 4:7-11, 17-18; 12:7-10


Sermon Title: The Confusing Paradox of Grace

II Cor. 4:7-11

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body

II Cor. 4:17-18

For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

II Cor. 12:7-10

...or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Why do we suffer and live with such great physical problems if we have God’s grace? This is a question that can be answered in many ways, but let’s look at it from the standpoint of God’s grace. We know that God’s grace empowers us to live for God, transforms our hearts and minds, and most importantly, allows us to experience a relationship with God. But it does not make our lives perfect while we live in a sin-filled, fallen and broken world. In other words, God’s grace does not take us away from a world of sin, but rather it allows us to live in it in a greater, more powerful way – as a child of God.

Dr. David Jeremiah, in his book, “Captured By Grace,” speaks to this when he writes the following: “We are common clay pots made valuable by the presence of God in us. And we are subject to difficult times in this world. Most people experience more problems after becoming a Christian than they did before because they are now going against the world and against their old nature. A lot of people were surprised several years ago when I fought cancer, thinking pastors weren’t supposed to get sick. The reason I got sick is that I’m human. Sickness is a human condition. Sometimes clay pots crack and sometimes they break, and only the grace of God can help you deal with it when it happens.”

We will speak more about how God’s grace provides power, perspective and perseverance in our lives this coming Sunday as we continue the sermon series, “Captured By Grace.” Hope to see you then!