Saturday, September 10, 2011

Scripture for Sept. 18th: Psalm 23


Sermon Title: What to do in Times of Crisis

"The Lord is my Shepherd. I will have everything I need. He lets me rest in fields of green grass. He leads me beside the quiet waters. He makes me strong again. He leads me in the way of living right with Himself which brings honor to His name. Yes, even if I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will not be afraid of anything, because You are with me. You have a walking stick with which to guide and one with which to help. These comfort me. You are making a table of food ready for me in front of those who hate me. You have poured oil on my head. I have everything I need. For sure, You will give me goodness and loving-kindness all the days of my life. Then I will live with You in Your house forever. "

An old man and a young man were on the same platform before a vast audience. A special program was being presented. As part of the program, each was to repeat from memory the words of the 23rd Psalm. The young man, trained in the best speech techniques and drama, gave, in the language of the silver-tongued orator, the words of the Psalm: 'The Lord is my Shepherd ....' When he had finished, the audience clapped their hands and cheered, asking him for an encore so that they might hear again his wonderful voice. Then the old gentleman, leaning heavily on his cane, stepped to the front of the same platform and in feeble, shaking voice repeated the same words: 'The Lord is my Shepherd ....'

But when he was seated, no sound came from the listeners. Folks seemed to pray. In the silence, the young man stood to make the following statement: 'Friends,' he said, 'I wish to make one explanation. You asked me to come back and repeat the Psalm. But you remained silent when my friend here was seated. The difference? I shall tell you. I know the Psalm, but he knows the Shepherd.'

During times of crisis, we don't simply need to know the Psalm, we need to know the One that the Psalm is about. In knowing Him, we will find that He will lead us, causes our fear to depart and gives us His joy in the mist of our troubles. We will talk more about each of these benefits on Sunday, as we continue the sermon series, God Is Closer Than You Think. Hope to see you then - and remember, bring a friend as we celebrate Friend Day!