Sunday, August 7, 2011

Scripture for August 14th: John 14:6

Sermon Title: Knowing Jesus

"Jesus answered, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Who was Jesus? There are some who say that Jesus was a good man, others that say He was a prophet or holy man. But Jesus said He was the only Way to the Father, the Truth of life and the Source of Life itself. The question today is what do you say? Is Jesus truly Who He claimed to be? Do you truly live like you believe it?

Someone once wrote about some well-known hymns that we would sing in church if we were really honest about how we live our lives. Here's the list:

1. I Surrender Some
2. There Shall Be Sprinkles of Blessings
3. Fill My Spoon, Lord
4. Oh, How I Like Jesus
5. He’s Quite a Bit to Me
6. I Love to Talk About Telling the Story
7. Take My Life and Let Me Be
8. It is My Secret What God Can Do
9. There is Scattered Cloudiness in My Soul Today
10. Where He Leads Me, I Will Consider Following
11. Just As I Pretend to Be

The list is humorous, but it points to the fact that we often say we believe Jesus was the Way, Truth and Life, but we don't live as if He truly is. What does it mean to live like Jesus is the only Way, the complete Truth and the Source of Life? We will talk about this on Sunday as we celebrate the completion of our Vacation Bible School. Hope to see you then!