Sunday, June 5, 2011

Scripture for June 12th: I Timothy 1:12-17


Sermon Title: How Can I Forgive Myself?


I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.


Most people have done things that they regret. Some regret more things than others. The Apostle Paul certainly had many things that he regretted doing. In this passage he explains that he wished he had not been such a violent man, leading others to persecute the early church. He was even directly responsible for the death of Stephen, the first martyr of the Christian faith.

But he then writes that Christ came for those like him - those who have committed sin, even some of the most grievous of sin. Paul declares that he is the "chief of sinners" and yet he received eternal life from God and now he is an example to others of God's mercy. Yes, most people have regrets - even the Apostle Paul had them - but we as Christians do not have to live our lives through the prism of our regrets. Rather, we are to live with the full knowledge of how God has extended His mercy to us and be forever thankful for that mercy. In practical terms, how do we live such a way on a daily basis? That is the question that we will focus on this coming Sunday morning as we continue our sermon series, "Life Questions: Answers to Life's Most Important Questions." Hope to see you then!