Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Scripture for Sunday, Sept 19th: John 14:1-6


Sermon Title: Stay Calm

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" Jesus answered, "I am the way, and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

This coming Sunday we will start a new series of messages entitled, "Living With Confidence in a Chaotic World," based on a book that Dr. David Jeremiah wrote with the same title. Sunday, we will answer the question, "How can we live with confidence?" with the answer: Stay Calm.

Dr. Jeremiah writes this in his book concerning staying calm: "Some people believe that when they accept Christ, they will receive a Get Out of Stress Free card and live a life of uninterrupted bliss. To be honest, when I became a believer, I picked up a few new problems I hadn't had before. Jesus never offered a false promise. At every point, He warned us that troubles would follow our path and that obedience to Him would actually increase our persecution. But He is also the One Who said, "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

He further writes: "But here's what I want you to know: as we await the Lord's return the atmospherics of your heart and mine should be calm. The Bible says we have a God who calms the storm and a Savior Who rebukes the wind and waves so they are calm (Psalm 107:29; Luke 8:24). The writer of Psalm 131 said, 'Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul.' Proverbs 17:27 tells us that a person of understanding has a calm spirit; and in Isaiah 7:4 (NIV), the Lord tells us, 'Be careful, keep calm, and don't be afraid. Do not lose heart.'"

So exactly how do we remain calm in the Lord in the midst of the chaos of our world? Find out this Sunday, as I share more of Dr. Jeremiah's insights, my own thoughts and most importantly, what God's Word has to say about this subject. Hope to see you then!